Slark the Nightcrawler is a melee agility hero that utilises his abilities to spring onto enemy heroes and slip out unhindered. He is a very mobile ganker, but remains attribute-wise below most other carries unless he is able to steal away attributes with his abilities. Once he does, though, only a few heroes can hope to be as fearsome as the Nightcrawler - extremely mobile to the point of ever-presence; his strikes only hitting harder and faster.
Slark can quickly leap forward onto enemies with Pounce to leash them and bind them from escaping. His Dark Pact releases a delayed purge that breaks even the most powerful disables. This gives him one of the most flexible abilities to start and end fights in the game. He is also capable of stealing attributes by attacking his victim to boost his own attack damage temporarily with Essence Shift which can rapidly shift engagements in his favor, even when merely performing hit-and-run maneuvers. Slark's ultimate, Shadow Dance, allows him to remain unseen even while attacking for a short duration and allows him to move quicker when not under the watch of enemy eyes to strike in and out of enemy ranks unhindered.
- Dark Pact Interrupts Slark's channeling spells upon cast.
- Deals 7.5/15/22.5/30 damage within 325 radius in 0.1 second intervals, starting 1.5 seconds after cast.
- Slark himself takes 3.75/7.5/11.25/15 damage from Dark Pact in the same intervals.
- Applies a strong dispel on Slark in the same intervals, right after each of its damage instances.
- The self-inflicted damage can be reduced or amplified, but can never kill Slark.
- The visual effects and sounds during the 1.5 seconds delay is only visible and audible to allies.
- The visual effect of the damaging pulses are visible even when Slark is invisible.
- Dark Pact ends 2.5 seconds after cast, but ends instantly when Slark dies.
- Re-casting Dark Pact during the effect delay cancels the previous cast and starts a new one instead.
- Slark leaps forward at a speed of 933.33 for up to 0.75 seconds.
- Pounce disjoints projectiles upon cast.
- Always jumps for the full distance, unless an enemy hero gets within 95 radius of Slark during the jump.
- Can latch on enemy heroes up to 795 range away (700 max distance + 95 latch radius).
- Slark can turn, cast spells and use items during Pounce, but cannot attack.
- When latching on a unit, Slark is automatically ordered to attack the target.
- The more the leash gets stretched, the slower the affected unit can walk away from the center, eventually coming to a full stop. It directly affects the target's movement speed.
- Every other position changing effect, including spells like Blinding Light and Primal Roar can break the leash.
- When the leash expires while a position changing effect is ongoing, it instantly cancels the position changing effect.
- This goes for the following spells: Adaptive Strike, Blinding Light, Boulder Smash, Charge of Darkness, Deafening Blast, Flamebreak, 原力法杖, Geomagnetic Grip, Greater Bash, Gust, Hookshot, Power Cogs, Primal Roar, Rolling Boulder, Tether, Timber Chain, Vacuum and Walrus PUNCH!
- Pounce destroys trees within 100 radius around Slark upon landing.
- Essence Shift steals attributes before attack damage is applied.
- Successive attacks do not refresh the duration of all stolen/lost attributes. Each stack has its own duration.
- The status buff and debuff icon show the number of current stacks and show the duration of the last stack.
- On each attack, the attacked hero loses 19 maximum health, 0.03 health regen, 0.14 armor, 1 attack speed, 13 maximum mana, 0.04 mana regen and 1 attack damage.
- The current health and mana percentages stay equal. Does not directly reduce current health and mana.
- On each attack, Slark gains 0.42 armor, 3 attack speed and 3 attack damage.
- Essence Shift cannot reduce any attribute below 0. However, Slark continues to gain agility, even when the attacked hero has no more attributes left to steal.
- When Slark dies, he loses all stolen attributes, but the affected enemies do not get theirs back, and vice versa.
- Shadow Dance interrupts Slark's channeling spells upon cast.
- Slark gains or loses the health regen and movement speed bonus 0.5 seconds after getting in or out of enemy vision, or casting Shadow Dance.
- If Slark is damaged by a neutral creep, the health regen and movement speed bonus are lost for 2 seconds.
- When casting Shadow Dance, he turns invisible and cannot be revealed by anything. However, the black cloud created is visible to enemies.
- When casting, Slark is guaranteed to regenerate 12%/20%/28% of his maximum health, if he does not get damaged by neutral creeps or is affected by Ice Blast or False Promise.
- Restores health in form of health regeneration, so it regenerates 0.3%/0.5%/0.7% of max health in 0.1 second intervals.
- Can possibly restore 100% of Slark's health on its own within 34/20/15 seconds.
- Unlike other active forms of invisibility, Shadow Dance does not allow Slark to walk through units.
- Getting a 圆盾 early in the game allows Slark to sustain more harassment from enemies and stay in lane longer. It can later be built into a 穷鬼盾 from the side-shop.
- 治疗药膏 and Tangoes can help Slark regenerate his health without the need of returning to base.
- Two 铁树枝干es provide good stats and can be built into a 魔杖.
- 魔棒 can be crucial in many situations, giving a burst of mana and health when needed.
- 速度之靴 allow Slark to catch up to enemies and immobilize them with Pounce.
- 穷鬼盾 gives Slark agility points, therefore increasing his last-hitting and denying in lane. It also saves Slark from harassment in lane.
- An 淬毒之珠 is a cheap but powerful item to slow enemies and inflict damage overtime, giving an advantage to Slark's early ganks. It can later be built into an 斯嘉蒂之眼.
- 动力鞋 gives Slark attack speed and a boost to attributes that can be switched to survive teamfights or give him enough mana to use one of his abilities.
- 魔杖 is an upgrade to 魔棒. Giving him more stats and opens up itemslots.
- 散夜对剑 works great in conjunction with Slark's skill set allowing him to easily chase and attack enemy heroes due to the passive maim. In addition to the slow, Sange and Yasha also provides additional move speed, attack speed, and a strength and agility boost to his attributes.
- 回城卷轴 can allow Slark to arrive at teamfights faster, or help him escape in a pinch. Consider holding onto one for most of the game.
- 韧鼓 provides Slark with attributes to improve his lackluster stat-growth while giving him extra movement speed and attack speed to help close the distance on foes. It can give him the early game advantage he needs to snowball.
- 黑皇杖's spell immunity offers proctection from magic damage in team fights.It can make him almost invulnerable while under the effect of Shadow Dance.
- 蝴蝶 offers bonus attack speed, armor, damage, and Agility, and its evasion gives him more survivability against right-click damage. It can be activated to provide a movement speed boost that makes chasing or escaping easier.
- 弗拉迪米尔的祭品 can be built for some stats and an aura that provides buffs such as lifesteal, mana regeneration and more to you and your teammates.
- 斯嘉蒂之眼 grants Slark both incredible survivability and killing power. Its wealth of attributes provide Slark with HP, mana, armor, damage, and attack speed - all superb boosts to Slark's lackluster base attributes. Not to mention, its Unique Attack Modifier which slows enemies on-hit greatly helps Slark to stick to his targets. The effect also stacks with any lifesteal UAM.
- 影刃 provides a good source of attack speed and additional invisibility to improve your ability to gank and escape. It also synergizes very well with the passive part of Shadow Dance giving him the hp-regeneration and movement speed buffs when he is not revealed by detection.
- 白银之锋 is a natural extension of 影刃 and can improve Slark's ganking capability even further with its Break and damage reduction. Keep it in mind when facing heroes with strong passive abilities such as 幻影刺客's Blur and Coup de Grace or 魅惑魔女's Untouchable.
- 深渊之刃 is an extremely useful item on Slark that combines very well with Slark's high agility and attack speed, which can constantly proc bashes. It also provides him with extra attack damage and a strong active ability.
- 银月之晶 hugely increases Slark's attack speed, allowing him to steal large amounts of attributes in a short amount of time. As the game progresses, it can be consumed to free a itemslot and provide a permanent attack speed bonus.
- 斯拉克 is a great hero to match enemies with strong single target disables or damage skills such as 暗影萨满, 水晶室女, 莉娜, or strong carriers that rely in right click damage such as 斯温, 哈斯卡 and 巨魔战将 thanks his ultimate Shadow Dance. However his Achilles's heel is in heroes with point target skills such as 帕吉's Meat Hook that inflict damage and applies the hook effect even during Shadow Dance and AOE ultimates such as Call Down, Black Hole and Reverse Polarity, this weakness is can be remedied buying a 黑皇杖
- 影刃/ 白银之锋 is an often picked item for Slark, as it gives you another escape and immediately activates Shadow Dance's passive, assuming the other team has no detection. Using Shadow Walk to sneak up to an enemy hero and hit for 175 bonus damage before pouncing is a good combo for taking down heroes faster. 白银之锋 makes this combo even stronger. Shadow Dance can be used to make sure you are undetected as you move into position, however be careful, if the whole enemy team is missing while you going to gank, they might be waiting for you.
- 斯嘉蒂之眼 is almost a core on 斯拉克 because it suits well with his poor stat gain, also the passive Cold Attack helps you when chasing and ensure more Essence Shift hits.
- 斯拉克 is fairly unique in that he can excel in every lane, if up against the right heroes, and can even be played as a solo offlaner thanks to Pounce.
- Pounce is good for both chasing and escaping enemies. It can be used like a 闪烁匕首 to jump into, from, or through otherwise impassable terrain to great effect.
- Dark Pact is a wonderful tool for purging the negative debuffs placed on him. When used at the right time, during the delay, the waves emitted from Slark will also remove the incoming debuffs about to be placed on him, allowing you to "dodge" or shorten their duration.
- Unlike most purges, Dark Pact can purge stuns from 斯拉克 - bear this in mind if you have been targeted by a slow moving projectile stun (such as 斯温's Storm Hammer or 炼金术士's Unstable Concoction) and time your activation of Dark Pact to remove it as it strikes. With enough practice you can time it to almost completely nullify their usage.
- Dark Pact also offers 斯拉克 a very interesting kind of advantage against certain defenses. The burst from Dark Pact is calculated as 10 attacks very quickly after another, meaning that 斯拉克 can use it against buffs like Living Armor, which offer protection but only defend against a set number of damage instances before disappearing.
- Dark Pact is a great way to finish off an invisible unit that has been leashed, as the AOE damage affects invisible prey.
- When being chased, try to get out of sight from the enemy, be it around trees, up hills, et cetera. The passive from 斯拉克's ultimate will activate when out of enemy sight and give you a boost to move speed and HP regen for a short moment before sight is regained. This can be the difference between life and death.
- You can also use a 压制之刃 to cut off a tree and hide between the fog to regen your HP or take a shortcut, shortcuts can be made in the laning stage and before the battle begins.
- If timed right, Pounce can be used to dodge some projectile spells such as 狙击手's ultimate, as 斯拉克 is invulnerable during his jump (note that some disables can catch Slark mid-air, though no damage will be dealt).
- A helpful side effect of Shadow Dance's passive is that 斯拉克 gains a weak form of detection. If you find that you've suddenly lost your movement speed and health regeneration bonuses while seemingly alone, it means one of three things. First, it can mean enemies are lurking around in the area that you can't see and you should be extra cautious- a gank may be incoming. Otherwise, if your enemies are all accounted for, it means the enemy has wards in the area, and you should let your team know this so they can react accordingly, or deward. Lastly, if 嗜血狂魔 has leveled his Thirst, 斯拉克's ultimate will be disabled while he has low health as it reveals Slark's location to his foes. This makes 嗜血狂魔 one of the most effective counters to Slark in the game. But building an 影之灵龛 can remedy this, as you can get a steady +400 health from each active in early levels, which assures you the ability to get "off the grid" and continue your ganks after level 6.
- 斯拉克 functions a bit differently from most carries - while a standard carry capitalizes on sustained damage, Slark can take on more of a hit-and-run approach. You can maximize his Essence Shift's duration by continually harassing and retreating. Go for the kill once you think you have enough damage and attack speed to take down enemy heroes. Slark's base attributes are average at best, although with enough stolen Agility and damage items he can keep up with hard carries such as 幻影刺客 and 狙击手.
- Maximize Essence Shift's efficiency by taking objectives using his stolen attributes. After a large teamfight, it is not uncommon to find that Slark has stolen upwards of 50 agility, making quick work of untended towers or Roshan.
- 灵魂之戒 provides a cheap source of instant mana, as Shadow Dance can easily regenerate the health cost when out of battle
- If played as a midlane hero however, a 魔瓶 can be a much better choice, healing you in combat situations and giving you mana when needed. 斯拉克's passive speed boost from Shadow Dance also means he can out rune control most midlane heroes easily.
- 紫怨 offers all the mana regeneration you will ever need, bonus attack damage and speed, as well as the damage amplifying Silence ability. Together with Pounce, it will lock down any target almost completely. Note, however, that this item choice does not supplement your naturally low health at all. 紫怨 is most useful against intelligence heroes that can easily burst-damage you down, such as 莉娜, and heroes that can escape from Pounce's leash, such as 敌法师 and 痛苦女王.
- Against Physical Damage dealers, such as 幻影刺客 for example, a 幽魂权杖 works extremely well on Slark. 幽魂权杖 gives you an added escape mechanism early along with much needed attributes, and builds into 虚灵之刃.
- 虚灵之刃 gives Slark a huge damage and attack speed boost, Some HP, Armour and Mana, and yet another nuke and slow that synergizes well with Slarks skill set. This is due to 虚灵之刃's nuke damage coming from how much agility Slark has, and thanks to Essence Shift this can be an absolutely devastating amount of damage, especially if followed up by a Pounce and Dark Pact. Note that Ethereal debuffed units take 40% additional magic damage, boosting the damage output from both of your other nukes. One might think this is counter intuitive, as Dark Pact deals self damage. However, if done correctly Slark can use 虚灵之刃, time his Pounce and Dark Pact so that Slark can do full extra magic damage to the ethereal unit, and then be able to physically attack the leashed unit for an almost guaranteed kill. 虚灵之刃's Active can also be used to catch up to and/or finish off fleeing foes that are out of Slark's reach, as the nuke has a very long cast range.
- 碎颅锤 serves as a dual purpose item for Slark, giving him a passive bash and a huge damage boost, while also providing some HP. Late game 碎颅锤 can be upgraded into an 深渊之刃 for even more damage and HP and a guaranteed stun that goes through spell immunity.
- 闪烁匕首 is a great item for 斯拉克, allowing him to close distances to set up a well-timed Pounce. It also greatly helps him escape sticky situations, due to the duration of Shadow Dance being longer than 3 seconds, he can easily blink out towards safety.
- Avoid buying a blink dagger/Shadow Blade if you're far behind in terms of Total Gold/Exp of the enemy team. Keep in mind these items are designed to pick kills only if you have enough DPS.
- Slark's murloc heritage was completely removed in transition to Dota 2 to avoid copyright issues, since the murloc are an existing race in the Warcraft universe.
- Slark's response, 播放 "Met you once, cut you twice." is a reference to the carpentry phrase, "Measure twice, cut once."
- Slark's respawn line, 播放 "Griefer madness..." is a reference to the propaganda film, Template:W. As well, a Template:W is a role a player assumes while in a multiplayer game to deliberately irritate other players.
- Slark's weapon, a Shiv, is the traditional prison weapon and is a reference to his backstory.
- The set Deep Sea Scoundrel is a reference to Silence of the Lambs character Hannibal Lecter.
- , Murlocs, the race Slark belongs to in DotA1.